Protect Your Basement!
Last week intense rains spread throughout Westchester county and overwhelmed residents, and their basements, all over. Here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle we’re always here to help, but we also want to make sure that you have all the knowledge to help prevent a disaster in the first place. Keep reading for some simple tips and tricks to potentially avoid a flooded basement in the future:
- Check your foundation! Make sure to check both the inside and outside of your home to identify any cracks that may be evident in the foundation. If they are simple enough, just use caulk to seal them. If the cracks are extensive you will need to seek out the help of a professional to make sure they get sealed properly.
- Clean your gutters! You’ve probably heard this a million times, or read about it on our website, but this is SO important! If your gutters aren’t clear of all debris, they will most likely overflow during the next storm and potentially send water pouring into your basement.
- Think about installing a sump pump, and make sure to maintain it! A sump pump will collect excess water and pump it outside before it can ever enter your home. Make sure to continually check the motor, ensure discharge lines extend far away enough from your residence, and your pump has a back-up source of power. All of these things will reduce the chance of your sump pump failing in the future.
- Check the grading of the ground near your home! If the ground doesn’t slope away from your home, you will need to get it re-graded.
Just like many things in life, you’ll never be able to 100% guarantee that your basement won’t flood during a heavy storm, but these tips will give you the upper hand. If you do happen to find yourself in the middle of a disaster despite following all of our tips and tricks, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is here for you 24/7. All you have to do is give us a call at 914-684-1560.
Inspect Your HVAC System!
Summer is the perfect time for routine maintenance to your air-conditioning, ventilation and heating systems, ensuring equipment runs smoothly. Keeping employees or tenants cool and comfortable during the sweltering summer months should be top priority as a commercial property owner. Keep reading for some easy tips and tricks to keep your property and/or business running smoothly during the summer months:
- Unmaintained HVAC units are a magnet for dirt, mold, bacteria, and many other pathogens, so it’s very important to make sure filters and coils stay clean. This will ensure that your tenants and/or employees and customers are breathing in quality air.
- Be sure to check your filter monthly to ensure it isn’t dirty or clogged. If it is, just give it a good wash and run air over it. When it comes to changing the filter, once every three months is a good rule of thumb. If it looks dirtier than you’re used to seeing, then it’s in your best interest to replace it right then and there.
- If you have a reusable filter, clean it carefully with a soft cloth. After that, just add some mild soap and water. If it’s not reusable, head to the store and buy a new one. It’s best to get a HEPA or hypoallergenic filter.
- A professional check-up should be completed once a year, otherwise you can do the maintenance yourself. Getting your HVAC professionally serviced means that all the components will be cleaned and inspected. This makes sure that they are working at their optimal best, preventing excessive energy bills or any unexpected repairs.
We hope these tips and tricks help the commercial property owners out there! If you still have any questions don’t be afraid to reach out to us at 914-684-1560.
4th of July Safety Tips!
Summer just arrived and it seems like it’s already FLYING by! This upcoming weekend is approaching fast, and that means Independence Day festivities will begin. While grilling and fireworks are the highlight of every celebration, they can also pose large safety risks. Keep reading for some of SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle’s favorite Independence Day safety tips:
- Make sure that your grill is located in a space away from any porches, overhangs and structures to prevent any possible fires.
- Designate one specific person who is knowledgeable enough, and not under the influence of alcohol, to tend to the grill.
- NEVER leave a lit or hot grill unattended, even for a few seconds.
- Before you decide to ignite any fireworks, be sure to read the safety and performance descriptions to ensure that you’re handling the fireworks safely.
- Be sure to designate one responsible and sober adult to ignite all fireworks and keep children away.
- Make sure you are using the fireworks away from any vehicles and structures.
- ALWAYS have a bucket of water, charged hose and a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Remember, pets and fireworks don’t mix. Bring your fur babies inside and into a secure and isolated room while fireworks are being set off.
All of us here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle hope that you enjoy the upcoming holiday weekend, safely of course. If you do by chance need us, we are just one phone call away at 914-684-1560.
Stay Cool This Summer!
With the scorching summer temperatures that have sprung upon us within the last few days, there’s nothing better than finding a way to stay out of the heat and still have fun. One memory that many of us here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle have in regards to hot summer days as a kid is running through a sprinkler. While this is a simple way to keep both children and adults from overheating, if you’re not careful you could create the perfect environment for potential water damage. Keep reading for SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle’s tips on how to avoid this and stay cool this summer:
- Instead of using multiple sprinkler heads, make sure to just use one singular head. If you do use multiple, make sure to use a timer for 10 minutes or less.
- Keep sprinklers away from the foundation of your home. If the runoff from the sprinkler isn’t absorbing into the ground, it can collect against the foundation. This causes the ground to swell and contract, and this can then cause the foundation to move and/or crack.
- If the foundation isn’t exactly well-built in the first place the movement and cracks can lead to broken pipes and leaks, causing even more water damage.
- Along with that, there are weep holes in brick walls. If the water gets above the foundation line, it can seep in through the holes and soak into your walls and flooring.
Have fun, be mindful and stay cool during these sweltering summer temperatures! If your fun day of water play turns into water damage, you know who to call. SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle is just one phone call away at 914-684-1560.
World Environment Day is June 5th
The view from a local wildlife and bird sanctuary in Rye NY.
The theme of World Environment Day for 2021 is: Ecosystem Restoration
We often talk about ecosystems and restoration but do we really know what it implies and entails and what one can do for it locally?
Some helpful points about ecosystem restoration:
- Ecosystem restoration implies "assisting in the recovery of ecosystems that have been degraded or destroyed".
- It also includes conservation of the ecosystems that are fragile or still intact.
- The ecosystem can be restored in many ways. Planting trees is one of the easiest and best ways of caring for the environment.
- People also need to eliminate pressures on the environment.
- Urban and rural landscapes have different ways to adapt and restore ecosystems.
Our local area has several different parks created to protect various marshlands and bird/wildlife sanctuaries.
There are many ways we can help with ecosystem restoration here at home. Simply not littering/picking up after yourself, staying on marked trails in local parks/hiking areas and not contaminating groundwater are some easy things most of us do naturally.
SERVPRO of New Rochelle and White Plains works hard to reduce harm to the environment and we use products that are safer for the environment whenever possible.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
Margaret Mead, American anthropologist (1901-1978)
Spring is the time for tenants to move! Don't forget a proper clean up!
New York comes alive in the spring and people get MOVING!
When tenants move it is very similar to a post-construction clean-up job and it is important to make sure that your building or complex is safe, clean, and ready for tenants.
Post-construction and moving cleanups can be tricky. When moving into a new space it makes a huge difference to start with a clean slate.
We created a cleaning checklist that explains everything you need to do to complete a post-construction/tenant move-out cleanup job right.
- Vacuum all carpets
- Sweep or dust hard floor surfaces
- Sponge countertops
- Mop hard floors
- Clean all windows
- Wipe all mirrors
- Clean all windowsills
- Clean exterior lights
- Remove paint from/clean hinges
- Dust all handrails and banisters
- Clean toilets (don’t forget the base & tank!)
- Remove boxes, tape, plastic, stickers, etc
- Clean and dust the tops and sides of doors
- Sanitize/clean doorknobs and light switches
- Clean cabinets inside and out
- Dust grates and vents
- Clean the inside of closets
- Wipe down the interior masonry
- Pick up trash & debris on the lawn
- Clean all appliances (pull out and clean)
- Wipe down tables and chairs
- Add mats at all doors to catch outside dirt
- Freshen up the air by opening windows
- Empty all trash cans/recycling bins and dispose of all trash
This list should give you a good outline to start but some people would prefer to pay an expert.
For jobs that are too big, require quick turn around or are just overwhelming please call in SERVPRO of New Rochelle and White Plains.
You can trust us to make sure the process goes smoothly.
Moving can be super stressful.
Take out the cleaning component by trusting us to do it for you.
Trust SERVPRO for your post Pandemic Food Service Clean-up
From large to small, restaurants are finally back open for diners!
Food Service has become much more complex in cleaning and sanitizing.
SERVPRO professionals are trained to be mindful of the complicated health codes, food safety regulations, environmental concerns and Covid regulations when restoring your business. We’ll work to ensure that all surfaces are restored and sanitized to legal specifications, so that you can get back to business and your patrons can get back to enjoying good food.
We will help your patrons feel safe and well protected.
- Total Project Management
- Facilities Cleaning and Restoration
- Flooding and Water Damage Cleanup
- Restaurant Cleaning
- Restaurant Kitchen Cleaning
- Restaurant hood Cleaning
- Odor Removal
- Mold Removal
- Biohazard Remediation
- Air Ducts and HVAC Cleaning
- Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Call SERVPRO for all of your cleaning and sanitizing needs.
We specialize in flooded Basement Clean-up
This local business called SERVPRO when their basement flooded
A basement can flood at any time and for many reasons, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-Water tank failure
- And many more
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Please Call Us At - (914) 684-1560
This local business had some flooding in their basement, as can be seen in the picture. They called SERVPRO of White Plains for remediation.
We responded promptly and inspected the damage, then began the Water extraction process. In less than four days we had the basement dry. We use advanced inspection and monitoring equipment to determine your business or home’s structure is actually dry.
If water damage isn't handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your home’s structure not to mention the potential harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Here To Help - (914) 684-1560
SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle specializes in storm and flood damage restoration.
Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost. We are on-call 24 hours a day , 7 days a week including weekends and holidays.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Westchester County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (914) 684-1560 24 hours a day/7 days a week/ 365 days a years.
Mold and your Business
As you may have already guessed, mold can present a serious hazard to your business. It can cause health effects to both you and your employees, which results in lost work and productivity. It doesn’t matter if you’ve experienced a tiny roof leak or a massive water damage, keep reading for some tips and tricks to help you and your business avoid serious mold issues:
- Keep all flood insurance current and all documentation quickly accessible.
- Install proper ventilation in areas that tend to accumulate a lot of steam and/or moisture. You can do this by installing fans or vents overhead.
- Think about buying monitors that can give you simple moisture readings and alert you of any spikes.
- Leave the cleaning to professionals and steer clear of bleach. It still has water in it, so while it may kill some of the spores, it will still add additional moisture to the area.
- If you find any items that you suspect may have mold on them, get rid of the contaminated items as soon as possible.
- If you suspect that you may have mold, do not hesitate to get an inspection done in your building right away.
If you do find yourself with mold issues, SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle is able to help. Our technicians are trained to properly remediate the affected areas and get your business running smoothly in no time. Give us a call at 914-684-1560.