How To: Keep your Business Happy & Healthy!
A tidy workspace is essential to not only the productivity and happiness of its employees, but so much more. Especially now, during a world-wide pandemic, cleanliness impacts much more than meets the eye. Keep reading to realize the benefits of keeping a clean office environment:
- Dusty surfaces, dirty carpets and stale upholstered office furniture can severely impact air quality over time in an office space. Make sure that you keep a consistent schedule that includes wiping down all hard surfaces, vacuuming carpets and cleaning all upholstered furniture, to keep air quality healthy.
- Carpets and upholstered furniture are known for holding onto dust and debris, so look into getting them professionally cleaning once or twice a year. This will help drastically cut down on respiratory irritants.
- Keeping a clean and sanitized office space doesn’t only help air quality, but it will also reduce germs and bacteria from adhering to high touch surfaces. This will ensure that your office staff, and any visitors, have a decreased risk of getting sick.
- Cleaning floors and reducing clutter in high-traffic areas, will ensure that there are less slips and falls and keep both employees and visitors safe.
- Among all the other benefits, having a clean, sanitized and tidy workspace simply makes the business appear more professional to both employees and consumers.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and don’t know how to get ahead of workplace germs and clutter, don’t worry. SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle are more than happy to help. We specialize in general cleaning, as well as sanitation and disinfection protocols, to keep your business not only looking fantastic, but also healthy and germ-free. We’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just give us a call at 914-684-1560.
Taking Control Back of Your Home
At SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle, we know that any water damage situation can be very overwhelming for you. However, there are plenty of simple tips that we can provide you for initially dealing with water damage situations, that will help you keep calm and take control back of your home:
- Immediately call your homeowners’ insurance company to inquire about what damage is covered, and what is not.
- Take as many pictures of the damage when it initially happens. SERVPRO will always take plenty of pictures once on-site, but you can never have too much documentation of the loss.
- Make sure to identify the cause of loss and figure out how to stop any new water from coming in.
- Be sure to wear proper personal protection including boots, gloves, etc. if you decide to expose yourself to the water. This helps prevent any potential infections from bacteria-ridden water.
- Quickly begin to identify and protect any items of value that you can.
- Contact the proper water restoration company to begin clean-up within 24-48 hours if you don’t plan on remediating the loss yourself. This is vital as mold can begin forming 24 hours after a water damage.
However, as much as we enjoy providing you with the knowledge to take care of your home, please know that we are always here to help here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle. We are just one call away at 914-684-1560.
Mold & Your Home
While SERVPRO might be best known for helping restore water or fire damages, we’re also very passionate about our ability to help remediate mold infested areas. Mold is nothing to mess around with, and has the ability to strongly impact both your home and your health. At SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle, we have technicians and project managers that take the time to go through rigorous training specialized in how to handle said mold. We know that dealing with mold in your home can be a very overwhelming and scary situation, so we want to make it as simple as possible for you. First, mold testing will need to be performed by a licensed mold inspector or hygienist, to figure out if there is a significant issue going on, and how exactly it should be remediated. Don’t worry if you don’t have someone in mind, as we have plenty of companies that we work closely with and can refer you to. Once we receive the proper protocol, our trained project manager is able to put together an estimate that our trained technicians follow to properly remediate the impacted areas. We also have the proper equipment, such as air scrubbers and HEPA filters to clear the area of any excess spores that might have been missed. Once SERVPRO is done with the remediation, the area will be re-tested to ensure the area has been properly cleaned. The process might take a little while, but it is vital for your home and most importantly your health. It is our goal to leave you with a healthy and happy home here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle. Give us a call at 914-684-1560 and we’ll be happy to help!
Burn candles, not your belongings!
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, plenty of people are gearing up to spend a love-filled day with the individuals that they cherish the most. Most likely, a lot of these celebrations are going to include candles, which do create a great ambiance but pose the potential for fire damage. On average, 21 home candle fires are reported per day. Make sure to keep reading for some great tips on how to avoid danger during your festivities:
- Keep lit candles at least 12 feet from anything that can catch fire and burn.
- When lighting a candle, make sure that you do not have on any loose or dangling clothing that can catch fire.
- Don’t light candles in areas such as bedrooms or bathrooms, and if you do, make sure that any flames are blown out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure to place any candles in a sturdy candle holder before lighting. This will ensure that they don’t tip over and burn something.
- When you can, consider using flameless, LED battery-operated candles. They create a nice atmosphere without any of the risk.
If you do happen to find yourself suffering from fire damage after Valentine’s Day, SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is here to help. We’re just one call away at 914-684-1560.
Winter Storm Orlena & Potential Flooding
While the snow has now stopped, winter storm Orlena ended up dumping upwards of 12-24+ inches of snow in multiple areas of New England. When that much snow accumulates, you’re left with mountains of snow piled up on every corner. While it might be just an eye sore at first, once temperatures begin to rise, it’s not just pipes bursting that people should worry about. These piles of snow will begin to melt and the water left behind can easily start flowing towards the nearest body of water, and quickly overwhelm them. This will lead to rising water and consequently flooding of the adjacent land and roads. Remember if you end up experiencing flooding due to the melting snow, SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is always here to help. Our technicians are IICRC certified and have plenty of specialty training in how to remediate flooding issues that can potentially wreck havoc on your home. It’s our specialty to make it look like the damage never occurred in the first place, and get your life and home back to normal as soon as possible. Contact us at 914-684-1560, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Happy Healthy Homes
While it might be hard to imagine spring coming around in the next few months as the temperatures are dipping around us, however, it will be here in no time. I think we all know the famous saying, “April showers bring May flowers”, but spring also brings more than beautiful weather and flowers. As nature begins to bloom again, different types of pollen and allergens are released, and begin to wreak havoc on allergy sufferers. While we can’t always control the outside weather and pollen levels, there is another important factor when it comes to allergies… our homes. Dust and pet dander easily collect and get trapped on porous surfaces and in household materials, triggering allergies and even asthma. Due to this, it’s immensely important to keep your home clean on a consistent basis, and a deep-clean of your residence would also be highly effective in combating allergy and asthma woes.
Here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle, we understand that life gets crazy, and sometimes you just don’t have time to go above and beyond your daily cleaning. That’s where we step in! Our technicians might be specially trained in disinfection measures, but they are also experienced in deep-cleaning homes that are not impacted by hazardous materials or water/fire damage. Simply cleaning all wall-to-wall carpets, area rugs and paying attention to all hard to reach areas of your home, will dramatically reduce any allergens that are lurking around. We make it our goal here at SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle to help our customers and assist in making their residences safe and healthy to live in, with or without a disaster. If you need us, give us a call at 914-684-1560, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
While the winter season brings the excitement of the holidays and spending time with loved ones, it also brings the possibility of winter storms. Snowfall can be a magical and lovely thing, but it can also pose great danger if it turns into a powerful winter storm or blizzard. Due to this, it’s immensely important to have a plan in place if you find yourself stuck in the middle of a storm. They can come fast and hard, and sometimes not everyone is able to get home in time. Keep reading for some tips to keep yourself safe during rough winter weather:
- Prepare a disaster supply kit for your home and/or car. Make sure to include a first-aid kit, non-perishable food items, bottled water, a battery-operated radio, flashlight, protective clothing and plenty of blankets.
- If you must drive, make sure that your car has a full tank of gas. This way, if you get stuck, you will be able to keep the car heated longer while you wait for help.
- Make sure that your cell phone is completely charged so you are able to communicate with someone about where you are.
- Make sure that you are dressed in multiple layers, as well as a hat, scarf and gloves, before you leave the house.
- Stay with your car while you wait for assistance, unless help is visible within 100 feet.
These tips should help keep you safe during this winter storm season, and remember if you have any issues with burst pipes after the freezing temperatures that come with winter storms, SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle is just a phone call away at 914-684-1560.
Prepare your Pipes!
Winter is an exciting time of year for many people around the world, as it brings the holidays and a sense of comfort and joy, but it can also bring plummeting temperatures. This poses a possible problem as frozen pipes can burst once temperatures rise in the spring, so it’s vital that homeowners begin to think about winterizing their properties. Keep reading to learn some helpful tips and tricks that will help prepare your homes for the cold days ahead:
- The absolute best defense against pipe freezing is to buy specifically designed pipe insulation. If you do decide to insulate your pipes, make sure that you pay attention to pipes in unheated and interior areas of your home such as the attic and the garage. If you are unable to buy pipe insulation, you can make your own with duct tape and crumpled newspaper for a temporary fix.
- Make sure to inspect your home for any holes, cracks or openings and then seal them. This will stop any drafts from freezing the water systems in your home.
- If you plan on leaving your home at any time, make sure that the heat is on. However, the temperature doesn’t have to be as high as it would be if you were actually in the home, as anything over 55 degrees is optimal to keep your pipes safe.
- Make sure to keep your thermostat temperature consistent to avoid any sudden changes in the environment of your residence.
- Interestingly enough, opening your bathroom and kitchen cabinets periodically will allow warm air to circulate around the plumbing. If you are expecting a very cold night, try keep the cabinets open to keep pipes clear.
However, even with taking the proper precautions, it is still possible that your pipes can burst. If you find yourself in that situation and are unable to handle it, give SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle a call at 914-684-1560. We’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Focus on Fire Safety this Holiday Season!
Did you know that there is an increased incident of cooking fires on holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? While the holidays are time for family, laughter and new memories, they can also be the perfect opportunity for disaster if you aren’t careful. However, the good news is that cooking fires can be avoided by simply being attentive to your cooking materials and equipment, not just your loved ones, and practicing the following tips and tricks:
- Never leave the kitchen if you are frying, grilling or broiling your food. If you have to step away, make sure to turn off the stove.
- If you are baking or roasting something, make sure to set a timer to alert you when your food should be done, check it periodically and never leave your home while the oven is still on.
- Make sure that you are fully alert while cooking. If you are tipsy, tired or under the influence of any medication that causes drowsiness, have someone else take over cooking duties.
- Keep anything that can catch fire, including oven mitts, wooden and plastic utensils, towels or any food packaging away from your stovetop.
- Make sure that any loose or dangling clothing is tucked away so it is not able to come in contact with anything that will cause it to catch fire.
Follow these simple tips and use your best judgment to keep you, your loved ones and your home safe. Remember, SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is here for you no matter what happens this holiday season, just give us a call at 914-684-1560.
Fireplaces and Our Homes
As the colder months approach, it’s only natural that we’re going to find ourselves trying to stay warm. This means that for many people, fireplaces are going to start being utilized. While they can provide a sense of comfort and bring a great amount of warmth, they do possess the ability to wreak havoc if not used properly. Here are some great tips to stay warm and keep yourself, as well as your home, safe:
- Keep your fireplace clean! Make sure to dispose of any ash and soot before lighting a fire. This allows for a better air flow and cleaner combustion.
- Make sure that you’re using quality wood. Dry wood burns more cleanly than any other wood, so avoid any wet, rotten or diseased wood.
- Make sure you are certain that the damper or flue is completely open before starting a fire. Keeping them open until the fire is out will ensure that smoke is drawn out of the house.
- If possible, keep a window cracked for additional ventilation.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher handy!
- Never, ever, leave a fire unattended.
- Make sure to install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Test them every month and change the batteries at least once a year.
Stay warm, stay safe, and remember that SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is here for you 24/7, 365 days a year. Just give us a call at 914-684-1560.