Water damage prevention tips
There are preventative measures you can take to reduce the likelihood of experiencing a water leak event in your White Plains, Harrison, Rye,Rye Brook, Purchase, Port Chester, New Rochelle, Mamaroneck, Larchmont or Pelham home.
The following are the five leading causes of water damage insurance claim and came up with solutions to help prevent them.
Plumbing Supply System Failure
The average cost was more than $5,000 after the deductible was paid.
Reducing the Damage
- Some indicators are increased monthly water bill, banging pipes, rust stains, moisture in the walls or on floors, and signs of wet soil erosion near the foundation.
- Reduce risk of frozen pipes by raising your thermostat to 60 degrees or higher in the winter, insulate pipes, or let faucets drip so that water isn't sitting still in the pipes.
- Install a leak detection system, just in case.
The average cost was over $5,500 after the deductible was paid. 1/3 of these incidents were caused by overflowing or clogged toilets.
Reducing the Damage
- Wait for the valve to completely refill the tank and bowl. If it looks like it may overflow, turn off the supply valve.
- Inspect a toilets components twice a year.
- Consider upgrading the supply line to a sturdier braided steel hose.
Water Heater Failure
Reducing the Damage
- Check the life expectancy and warranty for the water heater and replace accordingly.
- Make sure to maintain the heater. Flushing sediments and inspecting the heater's anode rod may lead to an increase in life expectancy of your heater.
- Inspect valves and use ball valves instead of gate valves whenever possible.
Plumbing Drain System Failure
The average cost per incident is $4,000 after the deductible was paid.
Reducing the Damage
- If the sewer system is connected to the city's sewer system or you are located downhill or below street level, contact a professional to install a backflow prevention assembly into the home's sewer system.
- Plant trees away from lateral drain lines to prevent roots from damaging piping
- Never pour grease down the drain.
Washing Machine Failure
Washing machine claims averaged more than $5,300 per incident after the deductible was paid.
Reducing the Damage
- One burst inlet hose and your laundry room is flooded in a matter of minutes. Replace rubber hoses every three years and consider upgrading to sturdier braided steel hoses.
- When leaving the house for an extended period of time, turn off the hot and cold water supply valve to reduce failure risks.
- Don't try to cut corners by overloading the machine, and use it only while someone is at home.
If you do experience a water damage in your home, give us a call here at SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle. Call us 24 hours a day (914)684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.
Moldy Days of May
Spring is finally here , the temperatures are rising and the rains are coming. All this increase in humidity and moisture can create a perfect environment in homes or businesses. A water damage event in the home or business creates an even higher chance of a mold event occurring if it is not dried out properly. If you notice mold in your home or business and you are located in White Plains,Harrison,Rye,Rye Brook,Purchase,Port Chester,New Rochelle, Mamaroneck,Larchmont or Pelham give us a call here at SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle at 914-684-1560
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
WHY SERVPRO? SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle has a proven history of re mediating mold successfully in homes and businesses throughout Westchester County.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to re mediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (914) 684-1560 OR TOLL FREE AT 800-967-6663.
Smoke and soot need specialized cleaning techniques
If you have fire damage and live in Portchester, Rye, Ryebrook, Harrison, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, White Plains, Purchase, Port Chester , or Pelham call us immediately. Our experienced and trained technicians have the expertise and training to handle your soot covered or fire damaged home and belongings with professional care and trained cleaning ability. SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle has specialized cleaning equipment and chemicals to handle all your soot , smoke and fire cleanup needs.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (914)-684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.
SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle is READY
If you live in White Plains, Rye, Ryebrook, Harrison, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, Purchase, Port Chester, or Pelham call us immediately if you have storm or flood damage.
SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost. We are on-call 24 hours a day , 7 days a week including weekends and holidays.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Westchester County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (914) 684-1560 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week / 365 days a years.
Faster to any disaster.
Time is of the essence when there is a water damage to your home or business in the White Plains and New Rochelle area. SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle is located centrally to reach White Plains, New Rochelle, Rye, Rye Brook, Harrison,Port Chester, Mamaroneck, Purchase, Larchmont and Pelham and are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week to meet your emergency water remediation needs.
Our highly trained and certified technicians will arrive to your home or business quickly and immediately begin working to remediate the water damage to help reduce the impact of the water event to your home or business. We have the resources to handle a pipe leak or even a major flood or storm.
When a storms hit Westchester County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,700 franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Call us today for all your water remediation needs (914) 684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.
Fire Extinguishers and your home
Having access to a fire extinguisher in your White Plains or New Rochelle home at all times is important to home safety but do you know what type of extinguisher to have ? Did you know that there are different types of fire extinguishers for different types of fires? Fire extinguishers are sorted into different categories based on the types of fire they are used on there is Class A,B, C and K fires and the fire extinguishers are labeled according to the type of fire the extinguish. Here are the types of extinguishers and the types of fires they extinguish:
Class A extinguishers are water extinguishers and are used on ordinary combustibles such as:
- And many plastics
*** Never use water extinguishers to extinguish flammable liquid fires.
*** Never use water extinguishers to extinguish an electrical fire.
Class B extinguishers are CO2 Extinguishers and are used on flammable liquids such as:
- Fires in oils
- Some paints
- And other flammable liquids
*** Never use CO2 extinguishers in a confined space, it can create a breathing hazard if proper respiratory equipment is not being used.
Class C extinguishers are a Dry Chemical Extinguisher and are used on electrical equipment such as:
- Fires in wiring
- Fuse boxes
- Energized electrical equipment
- Other electrical sources
Class K extinguishers are used for kitchen fires such as:
- Fires involving combustible cooking fluids such as oils and fats
Multipurpose extinguishers combine Class A,B,and C is a multi-purpose dry chemical extinguisher and can be used on:
Now that we have gone over the types of fire extinguishers in your home, what do you do in the event of a fire at your home?
- Call the Fire department immediately
- Make sure you have a safe exit strategy before approaching the fire. Do not allow the fire to come between you or your exit.
- Identify the proper fire extinguisher needed ( Having an A,B,C extinguisher would cover all possible scenarios)
- Use the P.A.S.S. technique to extinguish the fire . P.A.S.S. stands for Pull, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep.
- Back away from the extinguished fire in case of a flare up.
- Evacuate immediately if the extinguisher is empty and /or the fire progresses past the initial stage.
If the fire is out of control or you doubt your ability to extinguish it ...EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY! The safety of you and your family is of the utmost importance, personal belongings and homes can be replaced, your life can not.
After the fire has been extinguished by you or the fire department give us a call here at SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle . We have years of experience in fire and water damage. Our team of technicians is experienced and trained in dealing with fire and water clean up. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week , 365 days a year. Call us at 914-684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.
What do you do when there is water pouring into your home or business either from your basement flooding , a burst pipe in your upstairs bathroom or another cause of water damage to your home or business . Here are some Do`s and Don`ts we give our customers before we arrive.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified professional to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off of damp floors.
- Hang draperies with a coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books,newspapers,magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water,possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use tv`s or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet or enter rooms where the ceilings are sagging from retained water.
If the water leaking into your home or business is dark water or from a known sewage source the Do`s and Don`ts are a different from non- contaminated water. Below is a list of what to do and what not to do.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
These are some useful tips for home or business owners to use prior to us here at SERVPRO of White Plains arriving to handle the water intrusion professionally. Call us for your home or business water remediation needs. Our technicians and staff are certified and trained along with years of experience. We are available 24/7/365, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call us here at SERVPRO of White Plains at 914-684-1560 or
Fire and Smoke
Finally the days are getting longer and temperatures are starting to rise. Before you know it kitchen ranges and bar-bq`s will be cooking up savory and tasty grilled appetizers and dinners. Friends and family will be flowing freely in and out of our homes as we socialize and catch up on lives,current events and future endeavors. Your home will be the center of your social interactions this spring and all its guests will be unaware of the fireplace or candle issue you had over the winter. Whether it was the absent minded relative who forgot to open the flue over the holiday seasons that created a cloud of smoke and filled your home or one of your holiday candles falling over and setting the drapes on fire and subsequently burning the wall and surrounding areas.
After the fire and smoke incident in your home, you called us here at SERVPRO of White Plains to help you clean up your fire and smoke incident. Here are the instructions we gave you on what not to do and what to do:
First , what you do NOT do is:
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces .
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire,heat,or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire,heat or water. ( they may be contaminated)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
What you CAN do is:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery,walls,and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets,trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light lubricant.
- If the heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks,toilet bowls,holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on houseplants
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
SERVPRO of White plains is available 24/7/365 for all your fire and water damage needs. Call us at 914-684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.
Are you ready?
Only 5% of disasters affecting businesses are caused by nature. Man made disasters have the ability to cause just as much damage as a natural disaster whether it be a pipe break, sewer back-up or even a nearby train derailment that creates a bio hazard that causes a hazardous material incident.
Key to recovery is preparedness.
If a business has a completed an ERP Profile they will be able to better handle disruptions and minimize loss by developing a SERVPRO ERP for business you minimize business interrupting because you have an immediate plan of action.
Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage affect the business.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO`S Emergency READY Profile, a business will receive the benefit of over 40 years experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get a property back in working order.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
A no cost assessment of your facility.
-This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
-It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
-This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
-You have provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
-This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save time and money.
Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
-Having a quick reference of what to do,how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “ Ready for whatever happens.”
The ERP Profile allows decision makers to have the necessary information at the time of disaster loss and allows them to respond in a timely, less stressful manner. Call us today at SERVPRO of White Plains to set up your no cost to you Emergency Ready Profile. 914-684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.
April Showers Bring May Flowers
April showers bring May flowers was a phrase I heard growing up.The month of April would be an oversaturated event every year and the April rain served its purpose well with the rapid bloom of flowers planted a few weeks before, the lawn being revived back to its green glow after winter had turned it brown and the budding of the trees along the neighborhood streets. April showers had seemed to create a magical, colorful and new world every year as a child.
April showers was this marvelous event that helped usher in the spring blooms but one thing I failed to hear growing up was the other events created by the heavy rains. No one mentioned the flooded basements, over saturated yards which contributed to trees falling when they had no stable ground to hold steadfast to or the leaky roofs that had occurred from the freezing and thawing of ice and water between the shingles of the roof. I am sure it had to do with my young and naive mind not being able to deal with adult responsibility but that has definitely changed now. What can be done to prevent damages from happening to homes with the spring thaw?
- Make sure gutters are clear of any debris. Clean gutters at least twice a year.
- Rain spouts should be attached to downspouts that are directed away from the foundation of the house.
- If there is large puddles of water in your yard the installation of a dry creek bed, a french drain or other drain system could be the answer.
- If you are not confident in your ability to create a dry creek bed or one of the drains you can watch a DIY video or hire an experienced landscaper to do the work properly.
- When the first heavy rain occurs inspect for any leaks , water dripping would be the most obvious sign of a leaky roof but also keep your eye out for wet spots in your ceiling and if not caught in time the wet spots will turn brown. Do not hesitate in calling in a roofing professional, these problems do not go away on their own and will only get worse.
If water has saturated the interior of your home call us at SERVPRO of White Plains our trained and certified technicians will extract any standing water and set up proper drying equipment to help get your home back to “Like it never even happened." We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call us at 914-684-1560 or toll free at 800-967-6663.