World Environment Day is June 5th
The theme of World Environment Day for 2021 is: Ecosystem Restoration
We often talk about ecosystems and restoration but do we really know what it implies and entails and what one can do for it locally?
Some helpful points about ecosystem restoration:
- Ecosystem restoration implies "assisting in the recovery of ecosystems that have been degraded or destroyed".
- It also includes conservation of the ecosystems that are fragile or still intact.
- The ecosystem can be restored in many ways. Planting trees is one of the easiest and best ways of caring for the environment.
- People also need to eliminate pressures on the environment.
- Urban and rural landscapes have different ways to adapt and restore ecosystems.
Our local area has several different parks created to protect various marshlands and bird/wildlife sanctuaries.
There are many ways we can help with ecosystem restoration here at home. Simply not littering/picking up after yourself, staying on marked trails in local parks/hiking areas and not contaminating groundwater are some easy things most of us do naturally.
SERVPRO of New Rochelle and White Plains works hard to reduce harm to the environment and we use products that are safer for the environment whenever possible.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
Margaret Mead, American anthropologist (1901-1978)