While the winter season brings the excitement of the holidays and spending time with loved ones, it also brings the possibility of winter storms. Snowfall can be a magical and lovely thing, but it can also pose great danger if it turns into a powerful winter storm or blizzard. Due to this, it’s immensely important to have a plan in place if you find yourself stuck in the middle of a storm. They can come fast and hard, and sometimes not everyone is able to get home in time. Keep reading for some tips to keep yourself safe during rough winter weather:
- Prepare a disaster supply kit for your home and/or car. Make sure to include a first-aid kit, non-perishable food items, bottled water, a battery-operated radio, flashlight, protective clothing and plenty of blankets.
- If you must drive, make sure that your car has a full tank of gas. This way, if you get stuck, you will be able to keep the car heated longer while you wait for help.
- Make sure that your cell phone is completely charged so you are able to communicate with someone about where you are.
- Make sure that you are dressed in multiple layers, as well as a hat, scarf and gloves, before you leave the house.
- Stay with your car while you wait for assistance, unless help is visible within 100 feet.
These tips should help keep you safe during this winter storm season, and remember if you have any issues with burst pipes after the freezing temperatures that come with winter storms, SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle is just a phone call away at 914-684-1560.