Focus on Fire Safety this Holiday Season!
Did you know that there is an increased incident of cooking fires on holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? While the holidays are time for family, laughter and new memories, they can also be the perfect opportunity for disaster if you aren’t careful. However, the good news is that cooking fires can be avoided by simply being attentive to your cooking materials and equipment, not just your loved ones, and practicing the following tips and tricks:
- Never leave the kitchen if you are frying, grilling or broiling your food. If you have to step away, make sure to turn off the stove.
- If you are baking or roasting something, make sure to set a timer to alert you when your food should be done, check it periodically and never leave your home while the oven is still on.
- Make sure that you are fully alert while cooking. If you are tipsy, tired or under the influence of any medication that causes drowsiness, have someone else take over cooking duties.
- Keep anything that can catch fire, including oven mitts, wooden and plastic utensils, towels or any food packaging away from your stovetop.
- Make sure that any loose or dangling clothing is tucked away so it is not able to come in contact with anything that will cause it to catch fire.
Follow these simple tips and use your best judgment to keep you, your loved ones and your home safe. Remember, SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is here for you no matter what happens this holiday season, just give us a call at 914-684-1560.