Fireplaces and Our Homes
As the colder months approach, it’s only natural that we’re going to find ourselves trying to stay warm. This means that for many people, fireplaces are going to start being utilized. While they can provide a sense of comfort and bring a great amount of warmth, they do possess the ability to wreak havoc if not used properly. Here are some great tips to stay warm and keep yourself, as well as your home, safe:
- Keep your fireplace clean! Make sure to dispose of any ash and soot before lighting a fire. This allows for a better air flow and cleaner combustion.
- Make sure that you’re using quality wood. Dry wood burns more cleanly than any other wood, so avoid any wet, rotten or diseased wood.
- Make sure you are certain that the damper or flue is completely open before starting a fire. Keeping them open until the fire is out will ensure that smoke is drawn out of the house.
- If possible, keep a window cracked for additional ventilation.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher handy!
- Never, ever, leave a fire unattended.
- Make sure to install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Test them every month and change the batteries at least once a year.
Stay warm, stay safe, and remember that SERVPRO of White Plains & New Rochelle is here for you 24/7, 365 days a year. Just give us a call at 914-684-1560.