Candle Safety Tips
The holiday season is approaching us quickly and a good reminder for the season is candle safety. There is no denying that the ambiance that lit candles creates is beautiful and serene. The Christmas scene with candles lit, snow falling outside of the window and a fireplace aglow sets the seasonal mood just right. I can hear Christmas carols playing in the background with just the thought of that scene but if the candles are not handled properly with care the scene can be much more detrimental.
According to the National Fire Protection Association from 2012 -2016 , U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 8,200 home structure fires that were started by candles per year. These fires caused an annual average of 80 deaths, 770 injuries and $264 million in direct property damage. Here are some tips on candle safety:
- Use flame-less candles in your home. They create the same light without the dangers of candles. They are also great for homes with pets and children.
- Blow out candles before leaving a room or going to bed.
- Do not burn candles on plates or surfaces that could burn,break or shatter. Keep the candle in the glass container to burn.
- Cut the candle wick to ¼ in before lighting
- Keep wax pool free of any debris such as matchsticks to prevent flaring up
- Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything flammable.
With these helpful tips your home should be much safer and if you do have the unfortunate event of a fire please call us here at SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle. We have experienced technicians to help get your home back to pre-fire condition and “Like it never even happened.”