If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (800) 967-6663

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Do not burn the turkey!

11/22/2019 (Permalink)

The time is almost here when the stove tops and ovens will be blazing to cook turkeys, mashed potatoes, yams and an array of pies and desserts. Homes will be prepared to receive family and friends for a feast of gratitude for all we have given and received this past year. While preparing homes and meals for this celebration please be mindful of the food being prepared in the kitchen. Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Here are a few tips to help avoid a fire this holiday season:

  1. Make sure you are well rested and not sleepy. If you have consumed alcohol do not use the stove or oven. Enjoy that glass of wine with the meal after the food has been cooked.
  1. While frying, grilling, boiling and broiling food stay in the kitchen to monitor the food. All it takes is a small amount of grease to flare up into a larger out of control fire or a boiling pot to boil completely out and burn the food inside.
  1. Always use a timer while baking,simmering or roasting food. Keep your smartphone timers set to remind you at this busy time to check multiple foods cooking at once.
  1. Keep all flammable objects away from hot cooking surfaces or open flames.

Following these precautions will help to avoid a fire from occurring but in case a fire does happen, here are some tips to help:

  1. If you do not know how to put the fire out , leave right away and make sure doors are closed behind you to help contain the fire.
  1. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number as soon as you are safe.
  1. If fighting the fire is an option , make sure others are getting out and you are able to get out quickly too. Leave yourself an out.
  1. If you are cooking with grease , have a lid nearby that will completely cover the cooking pan you are using . If a small grease fire happens, slide the lid over top of the pan it is in and turn off the heat source. Do not remove the lid until the pan has completely cooled down and the fire is out.

If you do happen to have a fire in your home this holiday season call us here at SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle. We have years of experience and trained technicians to get your home back to "Like it never even happened".

Other News

View Recent Posts