Here in Harrison, NY where our office and shop is located, we have seen some severe storm warnings as well as tornado watches. South of us in Pennsylvania tornadoes have touched down in some areas creating major damage but luckily no loss of life. Are you prepared for a tornado? What do you do if you find out one is coming?
This day and age we are constantly connected to information worldwide, there will be an emergency alert from weather channels alerting us to incoming severe weather and possibly tornadoes. If the watch turns to a warning than that means a tornado has been spotted on the ground and you should:
- Seek shelter immediately in a structure that is well-built.
- Go to a basement or room central to the building ,preferably with no windows.
- If you have to use the bathroom as a safe room , get into the tub and cover yourself with a mattress.
- Avoid windows, outside walls and doors. Flying glass,collapsing walls and doors turning into flying projectiles can all cause serious bodily harm and even death.
- If you are stuck outside on a road or highway, do NOT seek safety under an overpass. The overpass actually creates a wind tunnel with the churning debris and air increasing in speed and velocity as it moves under and around the overpass. Find a low lying area and lay flat covering your face and head.
- If you are stuck in your vehicle, leave it running that way the airbags will deploy if necessary and buckle up. Tornadoes are fast and it is not advised to try and outrun one.
After the tornado has passed , assess the damage and call us. We serve White Plains, New Rochelle, Harrison, Rye, Rye Brook, Purchase, Mamaroneck, Larchmont, Port Chester and Pelham. SERVPRO of White Plains and New Rochelle has boarding up services, water extraction, pack-out services, fire and smoke clean up. We will work with your insurance company to ensure your home is returned to its pre storm state. “Like it never even happened.”